Wednesday, August 20, 2014

What to Do?


Today marks a new beginning for me.  The summer Bucket Lists were mostly met, the school supplies have been purchased and school is now underway.

Logan is a junior this year.  He has truly grown up before my very eyes!  He has become such a compassionate, loving, funny and talented young man!  He joined the workforce this summer and began working at Stimmels Bakery.  He is a natural with the customers and I enjoy going around town and having people come up to me and say, "I was at Stimmels this morning and you need to know what a fine young man Logan has become!"







Logan also spent many hours this summer going on "adventures," as he calls them.  These outings usually involve a friend or two, his hammock, his slack-line and his iPhone.  The pictures he has taken are breathtaking and a reminder that even NW Ohio has some pretty amazing spots!







Ethan is a 7th grader this year.  He spent his summer going to garage sales and purchasing items to sell on eBay.  He also enjoyed some fishing  and "hammocking" while we were on vacation.  He started running with the middle school cross country team a few weeks ago.  His first meet is tomorrow and we are all hoping his sore/injured legs hold out!  He is fast and we are eager to see what the season holds for him.

 
 






Jameson had fun going to lots of camps and classes.  He learned how to ride a bike with no training wheels, how to swim in the deep end and spent hours a day loving (aka "bothering") Otis.  






He will be in the 1st grade, meaning he will now be in school all day!  We are hopeful that he will adjust to the many changes in his schedule and are eager to see how much he grows this year.  I feel like we might need a prayer vigil for his teacher, though!  I will be sure to let everyone know if we wind up holding one of these!  :)

Over the summer, we also welcomed a 14 year old foster son into our home.  He will be in the 9th grade and is on the freshmen football team, so cheering him on at several games is also in our future!

Michael is busy preparing for events at BGSU, as well as for the 70-ish new SEARCH students set to arrive this weekend.  He continues to wear many, many hats, but balances them well and even wears several simultaneously, as only he can do!

Today marks a new season for me.  This year will be the first time in 21 years that I have not had any children at home during the school day.  Even as I type this, I am amazed at how quiet the house is!  I am looking forward to some much needed time to sit quietly and process this new season before me.  

I am hoping to help out with Michael's SEARCH community, as well as other needs within Cru.  As well, a group of us are in the beginning stages of creating the nonprofit group, "Open Homes."  We endeavor to raise awareness of the plight of orphans worldwide, as well as in our "own backyard" here NW Ohio.  We are eager to see more quality foster homes opened up in our area, as well as see foster children at risk of "aging out of foster care" get adopted by their "forever families."

I am excited to have time to volunteer and help others.  There have been many "burdens" on my heart these past 21 years, but I have been somewhat limited to proactively pursue them with younger children always  "in tow."   I am excited to be able to help out more in my children's classrooms, meet with staff and students of Cru on a more regular basis and have time to read a very long list of books that have been piling up over the years!

I want to make the most of the 6 hours while my children are in school, while being fully ready to welcome them home, to help with homework and attend their sporting and theatrical events.  I have dreamed of this day sporadically during the past 21 years and now that it is here, I want to be openly available to meet the needs in our community! 

First day of 7th grade
First day of 1st grade
First day of 11th grade



I am hopeful, as well, that Lauren and Justin in Akron, and the three other boys here, all have great years, full of academic growth,  integrity of character and spiritual tenderness towards the Lord. 





Well, it is now 11:08am and I still have 3 1/2 hours until our first child gets home...what to do, what to do?  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment