It states, "There is no greater joy than knowing that my children walk with the Lord."
And I believe it wholeheartedly! I have just loved to watch each of them grow in their faith and see them take personal responsibility and ownership for their faith.
Perhaps that is why I have recorded the dates when they began their relationship with God by personally inviting Him into their lives. And I have pictures of our older four children during each of their baptisms, moments where they publicly declared about their already growing personal faith.
And I have loved it when they have gone to church camps and retreats. It is so encouraging for me to know that they will be challenged in their faith by someone other than their parents.
![]() |
| As always, children are drawn to Lauren! |
But...what happens when their faith takes them to places that may be unsafe and far away? What happens when they announce their desire to go to another country? Is that taking it too far?
I am going to be honest, these types of trips do make me feel uneasy. Like when Lauren traveled by van from Akron, Ohio to Mexico to help build more secure homes for people. That was a lot of time in the car. Crossing the border can be dangerous. And surely being a beautiful young woman had to come with risks.
![]() |
| Working hard |
![]() |
| Building homes in Mexico |
![]() |
| Worship in Spanish |
![]() |
| Loving on the youngest and sickest |
![]() |
| The children in Honduras |
With only that minimal knowledge of how he was doing, it was easy for this Mom to get overwhelmed and just want to wish him back home where he could be "safe."
And how about when Lauren decided last year to serve orphans and refugees in Chiang Mai, Thailand! That was a bit extreme. Well over 24 hours of travel. Over water. Lots of it! In-country travel for hours on a pick-up truck to remote villages. Sleeping on the ground under a mosquito net. Eating the same foods as those she came to serve. And did I mention that she is a beautiful young woman?
![]() |
| One of Lauren's special friends |
![]() |
![]() |
| Riding in the back of a truck |
Last year, when we had minimal contact with her during the 2 weeks she was gone, Jesus and I had many conversations. They mostly went like this, "Lord, help her to be safe! Don't let her get sick. Make sure she gets enough food to keep her healthy. Use her mightily, but then send her back to me! Please allow her internet access so she can let me know how she is doing today. Make sure the rest of her team is mindful of keeping her safe. Let her fall in love with those she will serve. But obviously, don't ever call her back there again!" :)
I am exaggerating a little bit, but that is often how my heart felt during those long two weeks! It was during that time, I felt the Lord take me a step deeper in my own faith. I had to come to terms with the fact that as much as I love my only daughter, God loves her more. And while I longed to catch a glimpse of what she was doing from day to day, God was right there beside her the entire time. No sketchy internet connections for Him. He was with her 100% of the time.
And that did give me some peace. But even taking it a step further, I had to examine why I felt such an urgency to be praying for her. In reality, God was fully with her there, so her life was in no more "danger" than when she was sitting in her comfortable apartment in Akron, Ohio. I questioned why I did not feel the same urgency to be praying for her when she was closer to home, closer geographically to me.
I came to the conclusion that if I felt comfortable entrusting her to the Lord's care when she is on break from school and cooking a delicious dinner for our family at home, I had to also be comfortable entrusting her fully to the Lord's care when she is far away. God is still God. And this is "where the rubber meets the road" in my own personal faith. God is either Who He says He is all the time, no matter the circumstance, the pain, the discomfort, or the uncertainty, or He is not. And I am convinced that He is!
I do believe that. Wholeheartedly. God never promised His children health or safety or no pain. But He did promise to never leave or forsake us. And I am so thankful for the ways He worked in my life while Lauren was in Thailand last year.
And so today, a little over a year later, I am again feeling pressed to pray for Lauren. As I write this, she is about 4 hours into her 15 hour flight to Seoul, Korea. Some time later on tomorrow afternoon our time, she will again arrive in Chiang Mai.
But some things have changed this year. This time, she is helping lead the team. This time, their initial flight, scheduled for early June, had to be postponed because Thailand was under Martial Law at the time. The team wound up hosting a 6 week camp for Burmese and Nepalese refugees in Akron before going to Thailand, rather than after like last year.
![]() |
| The whole group |
![]() |
| At a baseball game |
![]() |
| Making new friends this summer |
This time, there is even more political unrest. Even as of this morning, they do not know if they will be allowed to go to the places they plan to go! And add to that, in recent months, there have been multiple plane crashes and disappearances right near the countries she will be flying to and over.
And this time, I am convinced that she is even more beautiful than ever before! Partly, this is due to the fact that she has such a thriving, real and personal faith in the Lord! And she has no problem taking risks if she feels that is what He is calling her to do. She exudes grace and love and compassion for people. She has no problem leaving the comforts of Akron and her many relationships there, in order to serve where she feels called. She feels a bit pulled emotionally to leave, but does so with confidence in her calling. Her inner beauty just magnifies her outer beauty!
So this time, as she flies over foreign lands and waters, I am so thankful that God remains with her. He is fully aware of her thoughts, emotions and health. Fully aware of all that will take place these next two weeks. Fully there for her!
And I am so thankful and proud to have her as my daughter! She has taught me so much! And today, more than being anxious, I am feeling very grateful in knowing that she "walks with the Lord!"
If you would like to be encouraged and challenged by her trip, she will be updating her blog as she is able while there...
My Isaiah 6:8 Journey
Enjoy!












No comments:
Post a Comment