Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Some Thoughts on Adoption




Now that Jameson has been "legally" adopted for a little over a week, I have had some time to reflect more on the whole concept of adoption. It really is an amazing thing!

Jameson has lived with us since he was born, but he was not legally a member of our family. So while in some ways, not much changed on March 15, 2010, in some ways, everything changed!

Within a few minutes, Jameson went from being:

a guest in our home to being an heir

a ward of the State of Ohio to being a welcomed member of the Brown Family

a
statistic on "file" in a county office to being a child with a bright future

fatherless to having a great father

a "
burden" to the county to being a blessing to our family

a "liability" to being cherished

lost in the child welfare system to permanently belonging to our family

disregarded to being wanted


As I reflect on these things, I am so thankful to have gone on this journey as a family! And while I cannot relate to the significance of being adopted (I had a great family that loved me and was able to provide for my needs), as a Christian, the Bible tells me that I have been adopted into God's family.

Because of what Jesus did on the cross, I can be in a relationship with my Heavenly Father. I have done nothing to deserve this "family standing," but have become the beneficiary of so much, just due to my relationship with Him! And that "standing" is in no way threatened. It is permanent. Forever.

Jameson does not have any understanding of these things right now. As he gets older, I am sure he will have lots of questions about his own adoption. I am trusting that we will be able to provide him with honest and age appropriate answers to these questions as they arise.

I am sure there will be tears of joy and tears of sadness as we venture on this journey with him. Hopefully we will be able to help him wrestle with the "what ifs" and "whys" in a healthy way. I am sure there will be times when he will make us so proud to call him our son! And like all children, there will be some difficult seasons to weather in his life.

My prayer for him is that through it all, he will know of our unconditional love for him. May we pursue him and look out for his best interests all the days of his life. And may he always know that he has been chosen. Adopted. Whether he makes good choices or not. Wanted. Loved. Forever.

And may he one day become adopted a second time - this time into God's family.

Just some thoughts to ponder this Easter week!

2 comments:

  1. You also forgot from motherless to have an awesome mom!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing. And touching. His life will never be the same. :)

    ReplyDelete