Tuesday, May 14, 2013

"If you love me..."

 In his book, "The 5 Love Languages," Gary Chapman suggests five basic love languages: time, acts of service, physical touch, gifts and encouraging words.

As a parent, there are lots of things my children can do to communicate love to me: help clean the house (especially unsolicited by me!), help carry the groceries inside, play with Jameson to give me a few moments to myself, a hug, an encouraging note, etc.

As the Mom of our five-year old, Jameson, I have recently come up with what I think is the most important way he can communicate his love for me.  It is not drawing me his umpteenth picture of the day, or putting his shoes away when he comes inside, or saying, "please" and "thank you," or sharing his snack with me, or even randomly telling me throughout the day that he loves me .  Don't get me wrong, I love all these things about Jameson and they do communicate to me how much he loves me, often is such tender ways.

But do you know what most communicates to me that he loves me?  When he obeys me. When he does what I have asked him to do. Or stops doing what I have asked him not to do. Or chooses to keep his mean words "inside of his mouth" when I ask him to stop letting them come out.




Jameson has a very complicated personality.  He has a short temper and at times, a short memory.  He can be loud and over-exuberant.  He can go from wild, but playful to "out of control" in about 2 seconds.  And in those moments (which added up equals a good portion of the day), what would most communicate love to me would be for him to stop and obey - the first time! Or even after one gentle reminder! :)

Maybe that is why Jesus told his disciples and closest friends, "If you love me, you will obey what I command." (John 15:14 NIV).  In another version of The Bible, The Message, He says, "If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you."

In the Old Testament, people had a strict set of codes and laws to follow to communicate their love for God and in order to maintain their relationship with Him.  Many of these regulations involved sacrifices to Him. But God was still looking for more than mere religious rituals from His people.  

The Lord (via Samuel) gives a strong rebuke to one of His chosen leaders, Saul. "Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice and to heed is better than the fat of rams." (I Sam. 15:22). Or in The Message translation, "Do you think all God wants are sacrifices - empty rituals just for show? He wants you to listen to Him! Plain listening is the thing, not staging a lavish religious production."

As I think of all the ways that Jameson could communicate his love for me, I am reminded that there are a lot of ways I can communicate my love for God.  Praying, going to church, sharing his love with others, caring for orphans, etc. Those are all good and necessary things.  But what is most important is that I obey Him.

This will be a great reminder for me the next time Jameson chooses to disregard my requests...which should be any minute now since he just woke up from his nap! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment